Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Therapeutic Hypothermia Following Cardiac Arrest

I’ve fallen somewhat behind on my blog posts but have done a good bit of reading in regards to my topic stating out with simple newspaper articles and progressing to medical journals. My chosen topic is therapeutic hypothermia, a technique in which patients body temperatures are reduced by for an extended period of time followed by gradual re-warming with the hopes of reducing brain damage caused by the hypoxia experienced in cardiac arrest. This topic has particular interest to me having worked as an EMT in NY the last few years. New York City has seen the establishment of EMS protocols regarding therapeutically hypothermia in the last year and the goal of my paper will be will be to analyze from an engineering perspective the concepts behind and efficacy of both the technique as a whole and the different methods used to induce it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers